[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - This past January was the Warmest on Record

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:44 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

It's pretty impressive that we are this warm and are around the level of warmth we saw with the 2016 super Nino despite the fact that we currently have ENSO neutral conditions and low solar activity. More evidence that human caused climate change continues unabated.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:11 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Anomalies, then more, and more. :sick:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:50 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Quit using your Air Conditioner - around 40% of the energy used in the USA is to cool homes while the units heat the environment. It's the first thing you should do. You cannot be an environmentalist if you use the AC. It's not necessary and 99% of the humans that have ever lived did just fine without it.

You can't complain about someone else wasting energy if you use the AC. Period.

Don't keep a lawn, plant native and xeriscape plants around your home that need zero care. Trees are a plus.

Consume less, and less, and less, and less.

Drive the highest mileage vehicle you can to do what you need it to do. You don't need a F250 to carry groceries. Then accelerate slowly and before braking coast as much as you can. I get 100 extra miles per tankful that way, so I'm burning only 3/4 as much fuel as I would if I drove like everybody else.

Hang your clothes outside on a line, do you really need a clothes dryer? The sun and wind will do that for free.

I could go on and on.

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:19 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:27 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

The 40% was from reputable sources.

The individual energy may be low, but there are millions of them out there and their total far exceeds the industrial energy uses in the USA.

If you turn your AC on, or if you use a clothes dryer for things that can hang outside, you can't consider yourself an environmentalist nor can you really point a finger and anyone else.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:06 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:36 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

The studies I read were in independent scientific journals. Unfortunately I didn't bookmark them. It was about a year ago and I can't find them now.

When the Climate Change Denying government posts a statistic, I don't take that as fact.

Even if you find a mid point between the two extremes, the fact remains that if you use your AC, put your clothes in a clothes dryer instead of outdoors, drive a vehicle bigger than your needs, and don't drive in a fuel saving manner, you have no right to point your finger at others.

It's hypocritical to criticize someone else for releasing carbon into the atmosphere when you are releasing carbon that is not necessary for anything but your personal comfort into the air.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:09 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:14 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:53 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

There are things you can't get locally, but if there is a locally sourced alternative, you should go for it.

Unfortunately most of us cannot exist without transportation. Here where I live there is no local transportation at all, and my work requires a mini-van full of equipment.

Some things you have no choice about.

Others you do.

I need a vehicle to make my living. I bought the most energy efficient vehicle I could for my work. I've had it since 2010 and will not get a new one until it is unreliable. There are others who choose buy 2 ton pickup trucks to haul nothing more than groceries.

My wife's car was bought new 42 years ago. She still drives it. It's still reliable.

Over 99% of the humans that have ever lived on this planet have done so without AC. We don't need to use it, we choose to use it, and we pollute the planet by doing so.

You can choose to let your electric or gas company dry your clothes, upping your carbon footprint, or you can hang the durable clothes out to dry like my mother did.

You can keep a nice, green lawn full of herbicides, pesticides, fertilizer and mow it with an energy gobbling mower or you can plant trees and xeriscape plants. I chose trees, ferns, and xeriscape plants.

You can choose to buy blue jeans with holes cut in by the factory because it's 'in style' or buy them without holes so they last at least 10 times longer.

You can buy new clothes when they go out of style or buy classic clothes that don't go out and wear them until the become rags to clean up with.

There are some things you can't get without single use plastics, many you can choose to do without. When you do have the choice, you could use the more environmental friendly choice.

You can drive with a lead foot and jam on your brakes at the next light, or you can drive with gradually acceleration (pretend there is an egg shell between your foot and the pedal) and when the light up ahead turns red, or the speed limit ahead drops, take your foot off the gas and coast as much as you can. I practiced and refined this until I learned how to get 100 extra miles per tankful. That's a lot less carbon coming out the tailpipe.

When there is a choice, the true environmentalist will make the green choice. The faux environmentalist will make the wasteful choice.

You can't point fingers at others unless you are doing all you can without being a hypocrite.

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:32 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:10 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Not wanting to start a flame war.

I choose to do all I can. Because I want to.

Everyone else will do what they want.

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:06 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:08 pm 

No mention of the greatest thing you can do, have one, or now, no children. To me, REAL MEN build Earthships like I did last century. I have led a 3 Rs life really since 1967, when I discovered overpopulation of humans in advanced biology/ecology. I manned Earth Day booths, wrote letters and talked about it a lot, and walked the talk. It has had very little effect, and became worse than a mere species crash, to an induced methane turnover extinction event completing 15 years before the mid century it was in the 1967 graph I drew with accuracy lacking with Ehrlich.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:45 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

I had 2 children when the world population was about 3.5 billion (I'm in my 7th decade). Then I got myself "fixed". At that time, I was a member of the ZPG (zero population growth) movement. It seemed like the right thing to do. However, if I had to do it again with what I know now, I would have gotten fixed before I had the first one.

The ZPG had a mission and a lot of members, but Corporate America saw that as a threat to perpetual profit growth. After all one way to sell more widgets is to have more customers who want a widget.

Almost every TV show whether it was a sitcom, drama, advertisement, variety, late night, or whatever had a woman telling her man "My biological clock is ticking" meaning she had better get pregnant while she still had the chance. Anybody watching a couple of hours of TV per day heard that phrase dozens of times per week and by mass media repetition, sure enough, people started echoing the statement and having more and more children.

It's amazing how the media can control our minds. It's even convinced millions of people that the climate crisis is a hoax. My neighbor has a 2 ton pickup truck and the heaviest thing he hauls in it is his wife, 3 little kids and groceries.

All a mom&pop business needs is enough profit to pay the owners and employers a fair wage with the only income growth needed is that to keep up with inflation. Sure it's hoped to make more profit, but the business can exist for generations without perpetual growth. A small business is a way to make a living. (I own two mom&pop businesses)

A corporation is usually almost 50% by people who do not work for the company and have zero physical or mental input in that company. All they want is for their stock to grow and grow.

Many quarters of neither growth or loss can sustain a private business for generations, but in a corporation if there is no perpetual growth, the stockholders will sell and the corporation will go bankrupt.

The Earth is a closed system, perpetual growth is impossible, it will hit a ceiling like an algae bloom in a pond and die off. I don't know if it will happen while I'm alive, but humanity headed for that ceiling. It might be too late to stop it.

It's impossible to not deal with corporate America/world. But if there is a local private business option, I'll take my business there. Instead of McDonalds or Bonefish Grill there are a couple of family owned restaurants that I patronize. Instead of Guitar Center I get things at my mom&pop music store. I buy produce at a family owned fruit/veggie stand and fish from a mom&pop fish market that sells what the local fishermen catch. The beef I buy is 100% grass fed/finished grown in Florida (my home state). Some of which comes from a ranch west of town (the owners are committed environmentalists and have done a lot to help the area).

I minimize my use of plastics, and recycle what I have to use if possible. I drink water from my well and never-ever buy bottled beverages. I don't use the AC and I hang my clothes out to dry. We don't use paper napkins (we launder cloth ones), and never use disposable cups, cutlery, or plates. We wash dishes by hand.

I have a xeriscape half acre with no lawn -- I planted over a dozen Live Oak trees, 10 Sabal Palms, 4 Gumbo Limbo trees and 2 Sea Grape trees (all natives), plus the well established and zero care 3 Royal Poincianas and one Neem. Under the trees I planted ferns. The rest of the shrubbery is comprised of either natives or xeriscape plants that have been locally hardy and non-invasive her longer than I've been on the planet like Downy Jasmine, Ixora, Firebush, Firecracker, Carolina Jasmine, Acerola Cherry, Honeysuckle, Periwinkle, and Citronella grass clumps. Most of the plants feed wildlife. The leaf litter, ferns and compost feed the plants. Once established the plants need no more water other than what mother nature provides.

I've painted the roof white to reflect the heat back out, sweep up the leaves with a broom instead of using a leaf-blower. I put the swept up leaves under the trees with the ones that fall there to return to the earth. We compost everything we can except animal waste (and there is hardly any of that). If anything needs trimming I use hand tools (saw, pruner, clipper). We don't even create a square foot of garbage per week.

My minivan is a 2010 and I use it for work, driving it like I'm a driver in the defunct Mobil Economy Run to get 100 extra miles per tankful over the EPA rating. My vehicles usually eventually accumulate 200,000 miles before they become unreliable and need to be replaced.

In the future, if there is another choice I see that I can make to help the planet, it will be done.

Why? I'm past middle age and the world should last longer than I do. Because it's the right thing to do. I've never outgrown that hippie 'save the earth' mentality (actually the earth will be here when we are gone, at least until our sun dies - it's about saving humanity.)

So when I'm doing all I can, sometimes I get frustrated seeing so many others waste. I went to the eye-doctor for a checkup and that building must have been 60 degrees F inside. The employees were mostly wearing sweaters and jackets. The patients were too. I come once a year to get my eyes checked and was on the verge of shivering. It was a beautiful 79 and sunny outside. The waste irked me - and yes, I know I shouldn't let it get to me, and it usually doesn't, but sometimes I just have one of those days. I wish AC had never been invented. When I was a child, we did fine without it.

Bob