[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
EnviroLink Forum • View topic - The solution to environmental issues

EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:55 am 
New User
New User

Hi everyone,

Seems to me that we should be having 2 big priorities as a species to help solve the environmental issue.

1. Cell Cultured Meat
Mass producing lab grown meat would help fix most of the problems found with meat eating and the impact it has. It would free up farm land and eventually technological developments would make it far more efficient than actual farming. It would prevent the slaughter of billions of animals per year and create new jobs in a new industry. It might sound gross but it can't be much worse than what goes into real meat.

2. Transparent Solar Panels
Basically just clear glass that harvests solar energy.
Currently their efficiency levels aren't great but if we really focused on them, they could be better.
The reason they could be a big deal - it's their applications. Imagine a world where all windows were actually solar panels.

I personally think that focusing on these 2 technologies will help make a huge dent in the environmental problems we have to face. With food and energy being the 2 biggest culprits, if we drastically rethink the way we feed and build, I think it would fix a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:26 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:16 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

People think of solutions to two things and the environment will be saved. It is complex if you want it to be. Zero people and zero emissions tomorrow will not stop the methane turnover process before runaway in a few years. Perhaps a global aerosol 'event' with an eleven year global winter, with caveats of pollution removal by the survivors.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:55 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

I see a solution as a plague that wipes out 3/4 of the population in one year as something that would help the environment heal itself, but I don't want to see that happen. I wouldn't want to be in that 3/4 nor would I enjoy the dystopia that would happen after 3/4 of us were gone.

I think we are on our way out, and there really isn't anything we can do about it.

My family is trying to keep our emissions down, while others take afternoon joyrides in space that pollute hundreds of times as much as my family will in our entire lives.

We put out about 1 square foot of garbage per week and our neighbor across the street overfills 4 huge bins a week.

I planted dozens of trees and re-wilded my backyard with native vegetation, my neighbor has a lawn which he waters every day, without fail

I had 2 kids in the late 60s, and had a vasectomy. I see people with 3 or more (sometimes many more) children every day.

I live in a small house, painted my roof white, and don't run my AC while I see neighbors with charcoal gray roofs running their AC down to 68 degrees all year (I live in Florida).

Corporations run on a model of perpetual growth, and perpetual growth is what is making the planet inhospitable for us. All the little things that people like ourselves are doing doesn't amount to as much as taking a piss in the ocean.

I'm glad I am as old as I am, because IMO there will be some stressful times ahead before the fall.

Bob

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:25 pm 
New User
New User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:58 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:33 pm 
New User
New User

One best way to our environmental issue is to convert our main source of enrgy to renewable ones such as solar panel, wind mills, water turbines, etc. Planting trees will also definitely help and making the big companies responsible for their carbon emission and the waste that their products produce. We must admit that it takes the government force to imposed sanctions to those big companies who will not comply.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:47 pm 

I look at the worst sources of a problem to find the most effective solutions. The vast majority of energy use per capita is cold climates due to heating needs. In those countries, the vast majority of the energy use is connected to either building heating and cooling or transportation and production of food. Cold winters restricts the growing season and mono-crop agriculture destroys all habitat for wildlife. The better agricultural option for most land in cold climates is animal husbandry but specifically animals big enough to not be prey to wildlife and not die in very cold weather... This means cattle for the most part. Cow gas comes from feeding grain and grain is cheap due to the high cost of transportation making sub-par grain to be worthless... It is fed to cattle just to get rid of the stuff. A better use of land is going back to natural pasture and raise bison instead of cows and skip grain production. Insulation and air tight building design can eliminate about 45% of Canada's customer-side energy use. Eliminating grain production and animal feed lots feeding crappy grain can reduce Canada's greenhouse gas production by roughly 35%. Making building heating all-electric can reduce greenhouse gas production by about 20%. Finally, making electricity with renewable energy with storage can drop Canada's greenhouse gas production to the 20-25% left in industry and vehicles. Most of that industry fuel use is making fertilizer to grow grains with steel and wood being the other big contributors. Yes, cultured fake meat is a good idea in hot countries but not that great in cold countries. Finally, clear solar panels have a very great use but not for the expected reason... Bifacial solar panels are designed to accept solar light from both sides by using a clear base and making the layers of solar active materials in the right ways for bifacial use. These panels can now be used hanging vertically and oriented in a North-South direction and act as fences allowing animals to graze between panels or farmers to move farm equipment between panels. The panels also never get snow buildup on them.

Post subject: Sustainability
PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:22 pm 
New User
New User

What is Sustainability?

Sustainability entails addressing our own demands without jeopardising future generations' ability to meet their own. We require social and economic resources in addition to natural resources. Environmentalism isn't the only aspect of sustainability. Concerns for social fairness and economic growth are found in most definitions of sustainability.

While the notion of sustainability is a novel one, the movement as a whole has origins in social justice, conservationism, internationalism, and other long-standing causes.
Many of these concepts had come together by the end of the twentieth century in the push for 'sustainable development.'

Sustainability motives are frequently complicated, personal, and varied. It's impossible to describe all of the reasons why so many people, organisations, and communities are striving toward this objective. However, for the vast majority of people, sustainability is defined by the sort of future we leave for future generations.
Many individuals and organisations share the value of sustainability, which they exhibit in their policies, daily activities, and behaviours. Individuals have had a significant impact on the development of our contemporary environmental and social conditions. Today's citizens, as well as future generations, must devise solutions and adapt.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:23 pm 
New User
New User

How Biodegradable Solutions to Plastic Benefit the World.

Plastics are an important component of modern life. They are adaptable, lightweight, and inexpensive to make. Only around 1% of plastics and plastic items on the global market are bio-based, compostable, and/or biodegradable at the moment.

The majority of plastics are still produced using fossil fuels, resulting in increased greenhouse gas emissions across their value chain. Plastics do, in fact, harm the environment throughout their entire life cycle, from manufacturing to use to disposal.

Plastic recycling rates are poor, and plastics seep into the environment through littering, incorrect waste management, and product wear and tear, among other things. They can live in the wild for a long time and possibly enter the food chain. When it comes to keeping compost generated from separately collected bio-waste clean, contamination with plastic particles is a particular difficulty.

Biodegradable, biodegradable, and bio-based plastics are becoming more popular as a solution to some of these issues. Plastic bags, packaging, and single-use cups are increasingly being labeled as 'compostable,' 'biodegradable,' or 'bio-based.'

Microorganisms can break down biodegradable and compostable materials into water, carbon dioxide, mineral salts, and new biomass in a certain amount of time. The settings under which a biodegradable or compostable plastic item dissolves and how rapidly it degrades are very dependent on the environment under which it is discarded. Temperature, time, the presence of microbes, nutrients, oxygen, and moisture are all factors to consider.

If designed for appropriate contexts and uses, biodegradable and compostable plastics can provide significant environmental benefits. More progress is desperately required. In the following years, the market for such items is expected to expand. Compostable and biodegradable plastics, on the other hand, are far from offering a