EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sale of captive birds
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:30 pm 
New User
New User

Trying to get the word out r/t campaigns by Born Free, Avian Welfare Coalition, and other animal welfare/conservation organizations. I have been trying to support these groups in their campaigns to end the sale of cage/captive birds by pet retailors (PetSmart, Petco, etc). to date I have twice written to each member of the Petco's board of directors appealing to them to end the sale of captive birds and possibly replace it with the sale of birdwatching/bird feeding equipment/supplies.
I am now working on a letter to PetSmart as well. Have in recent months, sent letters to various organizations and/ or their publications encouraging them to appeal to their members to join this campaign as well - to date have written to Audubon magazine, Living Bird ( publication by Cornell Lab or Ornithology, NWF.

The 2 basic issues I address are: 1. concern over the threats to many bird populations r/t the continued illegal trade in captive birds ( with mortality rate est at >60%) and r/t loss of habitat globally. 2. I argue also that birds are by nature and physical design meant to fly and as such have an inherent right to do so.

I have written to a number of newpapers (letter to the editor) throughout the country encouraging people to not attend local bird shows/fairs ( a quick google search can give you a list of scheduled show throughout the country).
Would welcome any suggestions as to how to expand upon / improve current efforts.
thank you

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:36 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

pbeck, "Parrot Confidential" is an eye-opening, documentary film which concerns the plight of unwanted, pet parrots. I think that those who do not yet sympathize with what you've written about in your post should watch this. Anyway, it's free and you can watch this film right here online. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-KdxI6b1_8

"WE ALL LIVE DOWNSTREAM" -- bumper sticker slogan