EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:24 pm 
New User
New User

I sign in as Greytail, because that's what I am - old enough to remember the Cuban Missile Crisis, enjoyed Woodstock (though I don't remember it), shocked into silence by the assassinations of John, Jack, Martin and Malcom, watched the Exxon Valdez oil spill as it happened and documented the cleanup in stills and video, sat with Ed Abbey at a campfire on the North Rim, the Good Rim, locked down with Earth First!, protested the White Train across Wyoming, and a,ways, above all resisted much and obeyed little.

I'm looking for comrades to continue the fight to thrust a monkeywrench into the bowels of the Megamachine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:25 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

You may have found a kindred spirit here.

I limit my consumption. Our total trash going to the landfill is less than one cubic foot per week. I don't use the Air Conditioner because of the energy it consumes and the heat it produces. I painted my roof white to reflect the heat back out of the atmosphere. I turned my half acre into half forest and half meadow with native plants and no lawn. I drive with slow acceleration and anticipation of braking to get 100 miles more per tank than the EPA estimate for my vehicle, which is 2010 and I will not have another vehicle manufactured until this one dies.

I didn't go to Woodstock, I was a musician on the road and either jammed with or opened concerts for Eric Burdon, many of the Motown acts, Four Seasons, Kingsmen, Rick Derringer, and many more.

I remember when we thought 3 billion people on the planet was too many. I drove cars with tail fins. I remember when Nixon took us off the gold standard, which started the increased inflation from about 1970 to now and forward. I've seen the well over 90% reduction of wildlife in the Everglades National Park - in ponds that used to host thousands of wading birds, you are now lucky to see 6 at a time.

I got 'fixed' after two children, and if I were young today, I wouldn't have any. The earth is overpopulated.

I was in Florida during the Cuban Missile Crisis, and in Detroit during the Detroit Riots. Thankfully, 4F on my armed services physical, so I didn't have to go to Nam, and I got to see the USA when it was at its peak.

Although I am advancing in age, and probably won't see the trying times ahead when climate change causes the crops to fail, I do everything I can to slow the degradation.

Then I see people taking joyrides in space, polluting more in one day than I will in my entire life, and sigh, there's no hope for humanity.

Bob