EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:34 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28392301

Neuropsychologia. 2017 Jun;100:18-25. doi: 10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2017.04.009. Epub 2017 Apr 6.
Biological and cognitive underpinnings of religious fundamentalism.
Zhong W1, Cristofori I1, Bulbulia J2, Krueger F3, Grafman J4.
Author information

Abstract
Beliefs profoundly affect people's lives, but their cognitive and neural pathways are poorly understood. Although previous research has identified the ventromedial prefrontal cortex (vmPFC) as critical to representing religious beliefs, the means by which vmPFC enables religious belief is uncertain. We hypothesized that the vmPFC represents diverse religious beliefs and that a vmPFC lesion would be associated with religious fundamentalism, or the narrowing of religious beliefs. To test this prediction, we assessed religious adherence with a widely-used religious fundamentalism scale in a large sample of 119 patients with penetrating traumatic brain injury (pTBI). If the vmPFC is crucial to modulating diverse personal religious beliefs, we predicted that pTBI patients with lesions to the vmPFC would exhibit greater fundamentalism, and that this would be modulated by cognitive flexibility and trait openness. Instead, we found that participants with dorsolateral prefrontal cortex (dlPFC) lesions have fundamentalist beliefs similar to patients with vmPFC lesions and that the effect of a dlPFC lesion on fundamentalism was significantly mediated by decreased cognitive flexibility and openness. These findings indicate that cognitive flexibility and openness are necessary for flexible and adaptive religious commitment, and that such diversity of religious thought is dependent on dlPFC functionality.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:37 pm 
New User
New User

Ok. Great study, I'm sure, but I don't believe something if I can't understand it.