EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: Over-herd
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:26 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Wayne, I read that you work in a lab. May I ask you what your laboratory does?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:41 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

solidum wrote:
Wayne, I read that you work in a lab. May I ask you what your laboratory does?

We do analysis of air pollution samples from stationary sources such as automotive and equipment manufacturers, biogas producers, landfills, and the like. We specialize in the reporting as carbon so that the destruction efficiency of the control devices may be determined by ensuring the compounds are merely cracked into smaller molecules but are converted to CO2 by the devices. I started the company back in 1991 and except for a period of about 6 months where I sold it to a large conglomerate, I have owned and operated it ever since. I did buy the company back after about 6 months because they were screwing it up so badly that I could not bear to watch.

http://www.triangleenvsvcs.com/

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:38 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
... We specialize in the reporting as carbon so that the destruction efficiency of the control devices may be determined by ensuring the compounds are merely cracked into smaller molecules but are converted to CO2 by the devices ...

It is very interesting, you work with rare equipment.

Not so long ago, I was looking for humidity sensors and found only Honeywell sensors in our store. These sensors don't want to work in dusty conditions for a long time, but if I use them with an air filter, they work with low accuracy. I think, what are the modern methods of measuring the humidity of air in dusty conditions? Did you measure the air humidity?

Wayne Stollings wrote:
... I did buy the company back after about 6 months because they were screwing it up so badly that I could not bear to watch.

Being an owner is hard work. I saw a lot of businesses that fell after a change of management.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:35 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

solidum wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
... We specialize in the reporting as carbon so that the destruction efficiency of the control devices may be determined by ensuring the compounds are merely cracked into smaller molecules but are converted to CO2 by the devices ...

It is very interesting, you work with rare equipment.

Yes, we took off the shelf technology that was supposed to work, but did not and rebuilt it to where it would work. A simple yet complex system that separates compounds, traps others, oxidizes the organic compounds to CO2 reduces the CO2 to CH4 and uses a Flame Ionization Detector to measure the CH4.

Quote:
Not so long ago, I was looking for humidity sensors and found only Honeywell sensors in our store. These sensors don't want to work in dusty conditions for a long time, but if I use them with an air filter, they work with low accuracy. I think, what are the modern methods of measuring the humidity of air in dusty conditions? Did you measure the air humidity?

We do not measure humidity. That is usually measured in the field using a wet bulb/dry bulb methodology.

Quote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
... I did buy the company back after about 6 months because they were screwing it up so badly that I could not bear to watch.

Being an owner is hard work. I saw a lot of businesses that fell after a change of management.

Yes, and more so when there is a lack of understanding of the nuances in the markets.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:43 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
... A simple yet complex system that separates compounds, traps others, oxidizes the organic compounds to CO2 reduces the CO2 to CH4 and uses a Flame Ionization Detector to measure the CH4.

Did I understand correctly, you convert CO2 to CH4 and then measure the concentration of methane? Is this related to the peculiarities of CO2 ionization in FID?

Can this method determine the concentration of nitrogen oxides?

Wayne Stollings wrote:
... That is usually measured in the field using a wet bulb/dry bulb methodology.

This method is manual and it can not work at low temperatures. Now I am thinking about measuring the dielectric constant of the air. But I'm not sure that this is a good solution.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:46 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

solidum wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
... A simple yet complex system that separates compounds, traps others, oxidizes the organic compounds to CO2 reduces the CO2 to CH4 and uses a Flame Ionization Detector to measure the CH4.

Did I understand correctly, you convert CO2 to CH4 and then measure the concentration of methane? Is this related to the peculiarities of CO2 ionization in FID?

Yes, an FID does not respond to CO2 to any degree.

Quote:
Can this method determine the concentration of nitrogen oxides?

No, a Thermal Conductivity Detector (TCD) or Chemiluminescence Detector (CID) would be a better choice for that.

Quote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
... That is usually measured in the field using a wet bulb/dry bulb methodology.

This method is manual and it can not work at low temperatures. Now I am thinking about measuring the dielectric constant of the air. But I'm not sure that this is a good solution.

Yes, the sources for pollution are generally not very low temperature and compliance tests have specific requirements for accuracy and reproducibility written into law.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:22 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
Yes, the sources for pollution are generally not very low temperature and compliance tests have specific requirements for accuracy and reproducibility written into law.

Once I read that methane is more dangerous to the environment than carbon dioxide. Is it true?

What is your favorite construction material?

Does anyone know how is Johhny Electriglide?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:39 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

solidum wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

Once I read that methane is more dangerous to the environment than carbon dioxide. Is it true?

Methane is a more powerful Greenhouse Gas than CO2, but the concentrations of both make the effects more pronounced for CO2. CO2 is above 400 ppmv now while CH4 is less than 2 ppmv

Quote:
What is your favorite construction material?

That is dependent upon the use. I prefer wood whenever possible given that it is easy to work and is renewable, but there are applications that stone works better, such as retaining walls.

Quote:
Does anyone know how is Johhny Electriglide?

I imagine the weather has limited his ability to communicate given he is using a solar power system and cloud/snow cover has been worse in a lot of places this winter.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:17 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
... CO2 is above 400 ppmv now while CH4 is less than 2 ppmv

I think that carbon dioxide can be transformed by plants, but I don't know how many plants are needed to make this process stable. Have you read any research on the effect of CO2 concentration on plants? Can plants or anyone else use atmospheric methane?

Wayne Stollings wrote:
... I prefer wood whenever possible given that it is easy to work and is renewable, but there are applications that stone works better, such as retaining walls.

I also like working with wood. In the future, I plan to make a wood dryer, because it is difficult to find well-prepared wood.

Sometimes I read that aerated concrete is a new ecological material. But in practice it is difficult to use, it requires a good basis to prevent deformation and cracking. We have a very deep frost of ground, sometimes the groundwater level is very high, both reasons require that the base be deeper.

Wayne Stollings wrote:
I imagine the weather has limited his ability to communicate given he is using a solar power system and cloud/snow cover has been worse in a lot of places this winter.

This winter is very snowy. But I already forgot when there were real frosts. Today -12 C (10 F), but when I was at school, I remember low temperatures of -25 ...- 30 C (-13 ...- 22 F).

What type of internet is commonly used in the US to connect? I mean for distant places.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:57 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

solidum wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
... CO2 is above 400 ppmv now while CH4 is less than 2 ppmv

I think that carbon dioxide can be transformed by plants, but I don't know how many plants are needed to make this process stable.

The process was stable for thousands of years until humans started using large amounts of fossil fuels and reintroducing millions of tons of carbon which had been sequestered from the cycle.

Quote:
Have you read any research on the effect of CO2 concentration on plants?

It can increase the growth of plants to a certain degree but where all other variables are the same. The increase in CO2 in the atmosphere increases the heat levels which in turn impacts precipitation patterns and negatively impacts plant growth.

Quote:
Can plants or anyone else use atmospheric methane?

It naturally degrades into CO2 over time.

Quote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
... I prefer wood whenever possible given that it is easy to work and is renewable, but there are applications that stone works better, such as retaining walls.

I also like working with wood. In the future, I plan to make a wood dryer, because it is difficult to find well-prepared wood.

I had a friend who years ago cut and milled lumber to build his house, but the wood all warped horribly in the drying process. He wasted all of that effort to wind up with essentially firewood.

Quote:
Sometimes I read that aerated concrete is a new ecological material. But in practice it is difficult to use, it requires a good basis to prevent deformation and cracking. We have a very deep frost of ground, sometimes the groundwater level is very high, both reasons require that the base be deeper.

Yes, where I grew up had a much lower frostline than where I live now. It is hard to explain to people why I automatically view footers as being too shallow.

Quote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

This winter is very snowy. But I already forgot when there were real frosts. Today -12 C (10 F), but when I was at school, I remember low temperatures of -25 ...- 30 C (-13 ...- 22 F).

We have similar temperatures here this morning with wind chill in the lower single digits F.

Quote:
What type of internet is commonly used in the US to connect? I mean for distant places.

The local areas have different service providers with different connection methods. Cable is popular in most places, but some lin remote areas have satellite connection. I have fiber optic here. I believe most of the major connections are now fiber optic, but I am not sure.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:44 am 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Wayne Stollings wrote:
It can increase the growth of plants to a certain degree but where all other variables are the same. The increase in CO2 in the atmosphere increases the heat levels which in turn impacts precipitation patterns and negatively impacts plant growth.

I meant that this process can be represented in a model with differential equations. A graphic representation is perhaps better for understanding.

Wayne Stollings wrote:
I had a friend who years ago cut and milled lumber to build his house, but the wood all warped horribly in the drying process. He wasted all of that effort to wind up with essentially firewood.

I know about the difficulties with drying.

Wayne Stollings wrote:
... It is hard to explain to people why I automatically view footers as being too shallow.

What do "footers" mean?

Wayne Stollings wrote:
We have similar temperatures here this morning with wind chill in the lower single digits F.

How do solar panels tolerate frost? I think that expanding the ice can damage their coating.

Wayne Stollings wrote:
The local areas have different service providers with different connection methods. Cable is popular in most places, but some lin remote areas have satellite connection. I have fiber optic here. I believe most of the major connections are now fiber optic, but I am not sure.

Do you use IPv6 standard?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:45 am 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

solidum wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

I meant that this process can be represented in a model with differential equations. A graphic representation is perhaps better for understanding.

I imagine there are but the numbers of variables would be daunting for sure.

Wayne Stollings wrote:
... It is hard to explain to people why I automatically view footers as being too shallow.

What do "footers" mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_akSziGAH4

Quote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

How do solar panels tolerate frost? I think that expanding the ice can damage their coating.

I do not believe there is a problem with expansion but when they are covered they do not produce power.

Quote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:

Do you use IPv6 standard?

That I do not know.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:36 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Have you ever seen problems with sulphate water? Not every concrete can maintain strength for a long time in these conditions. I am interested in how I can do groundwater analysis with my own hands?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:40 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

solidum wrote:
Have you ever seen problems with sulphate water? Not every concrete can maintain strength for a long time in these conditions. I am interested in how I can do groundwater analysis with my own hands?

I do not see a lot of information on water analysis as I deal with air, but there are some wet chemistry kits that allow crude testing which is not accepted for regulatory compliance. PH, hardness, and suspended solids are some I think I have seen as screening tests.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:42 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

https://www.ospreyscientific.com/produc ... -surfaces/

Arthur Schopenhauer

Albert Einstein

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 245 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next