Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: FIRST Post!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:30 am 
New User
New User

feels great to be a virgin again! \:D/

apparently, i registered THREE years ago but never bothered to post - just remembered about this site.

anyway, seems appropriate that i'm posting here - i'm currently raising native texas wildflowers (maxmillian sunflowers and purple coneflowers) and grasses (little bluestem, big bluestem and indiangrass) in a greenhouse so i can have a mini-gulf coast prairie in my backyard.

HOWDY EVERYONE!

Post subject: Re: FIRST Post!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:11 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Howdy-do, Bulldog!
What do you do for a living?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:16 am 

Yo BB!! How ya doin' bud? How's the wife and mini-me? Any more of 'em? And the dawgs?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:32 am 

WELCOME

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:52 am 
New User
New User

SiberD wrote:
Yo BB!! How ya doin' bud? How's the wife and mini-me? Any more of 'em? And the dawgs?

siberd!!!!! dude!!!! it's great "talking" to you again! how are you doing? how's your family? i remember you had kind quit showing the puppers. still into cars?

me - still hating my job :-({|= . got another blackbelt in another m.a. since the last time we "talked" and about to (4-6 months from now) get another blackbelt in another but related m.a. if i'm not helping mini-me with her school work, teaching her m.a. or doing some other sport with her, i spend as much of my time as possible at my parent's farm doing my best to improve the habitat for wildlife. we're converting the property they bought last year to wildlife management. the previous owner had let it go for 20 years so, lots of native grasses and wildflowers but also a ton of cedar and yaupon to clear.

wifey - still complaining and despite her constant statements that she won't even bothering complaining to me bc she knows i won't listen, she complains.

mini-me is up to my chin now - damn they grow fast. still just her unfortunately. she's in the fourth grade now - can you believe that?! she learned how to ride a bike in ONE DAY! better than her old man - but, i made her learn how to ride a razor scooter (taught her balance) first and i think that and her training in m.a. contributed quite a bit to that. i've been training her in m.a. since she was 4 - she has a rep at her elementary school: not even the boys mess with her because every year since kindergarten, about once or twice a year, a boy messes with her and he ends up on the floor :lol:

the dawgs - down to 2 and one of them is old (remember the one i wrote about when she was a pup chasing oinkers?). a real nice male i had - he was in his prime - had to be put down because of cancer. will probably get another male a.b. sometime soon. mini-me is insisting on getting a foo foo dog (and has been insisting on it for years) so i've been teaching/training her how to be a dogman and will probably get her one soon (can't decide between a coton, bichon or some other non-shedding foo foo - gotta be nonshedding bc it will live in the house and most likely sleep with mini-me in her bedroom).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:32 am 

Good to "see" ya again BB!

The wife is...the wife, lol! Here's to our wives and lovers and may then never meet! My daughter is grown and married and the son is 16 goin' on 21 or so he thinks. YEah, the kids grow fast bb so enjoy it now because it'll seem like a snap of your finger when all of the sudden they're grown and gone.

Yeah, quit showing dogs years ago. Kinda funny, when I was most active in 'em the wifey was more involved with the kids and now that the daughter is out of the nest and the son is 16, she's active in dogs. She works with aussies doin' obedience, agility, and now some herding work with 'em. We have two aussies and I still have two aging siberians.

Yep, like cars, have two now, a turbo charged miata and a 65 mustang fasback. Also fish a lot (walleye) and shoot a lot (pistol range).

I pity the poor boys who date your daughter when the time comes. They'll have to put up with you and their date knowin' martial arts! And she wants a "house mouse"? No, don't do it! LOL! Really, bichons have a lot of problems in the breed. Oh, wth, most pure bred dogs have problems.

Good to see you posting here. Oh, you missed barb. She got banned from here a couple of months ago! Trouble maker! :-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:19 am 

welcome bulldogbuddy. If by AB you mean american bulldog, I have one now and have had a couple in the past...great dogs. I have done a LOT with this guy and I will say he is probably the best dog I have ever owned.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:49 pm 
New User
New User

OHIOSTEVE wrote:
welcome bulldogbuddy. If by AB you mean american bulldog, I have one now and have had a couple in the past...great dogs. I have done a LOT with this guy and I will say he is probably the best dog I have ever owned.

yup, i mean american bulldogs. a LOT of health problems but the good ones (when you find one) are tough to beat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:54 pm 
New User
New User

i'm thinking about getting some minature cattle for the farm so that they can help manage the native grasses without overgrazing - might give you a call about an aussie and get some tips on how to train them. i can train catchdogs but am pretty clueless about herding.

would love to get some bison but they don't seem to be worth the trouble and expense.

barb was here recently?! what is that nutty squirrel been up to? is she still a hypocritical wacky wabbit with a screw loose and multiple personalities? how can she be kicked off an environmental board? isn't she supposed to be THE environmentalist/animal rights advocate, i.e, MOTHER F'n NATURE herself?! [-o<

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:52 pm 

BulldogBuddy wrote:
would love to get some bison but they don't seem to be worth the trouble and expense
They are like cows except fences mean nothing to them... you have to keep them in with discipline or an elephant-proof fence. Even electric fences are ignored as their woolly waxy fur protects them from shocks.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:19 pm 

Now that we're all acquainted, you guys wouldn't mind taking this to the discussion threads, would you? O:)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:29 pm 
New User
New User

Ann Vole wrote:
BulldogBuddy wrote:
would love to get some bison but they don't seem to be worth the trouble and expense
They are like cows except fences mean nothing to them... you have to keep them in with discipline or an elephant-proof fence. Even electric fences are ignored as their woolly waxy fur protects them from shocks.

that's the problem - purchase price for the bison themselves don't seem unreasonable. don't want to spend a fortune building bison proof fencing. have heard that electricity won't work unless they are conditioned/trained. a lady near the farm raises some - i've been meaning to ask her how she does it and see if it's worth it.