EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:45 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20539
Location: Southeastern US
http://news.consumerreports.org/home/20 ... e-map.html

At this time of year, most gardening activity is of the armchair variety. With the arrival of seed catalogs, it’s a good time to start planning what you’ll be planting in the Spring. But before you order any flowers or vegetables, consult the newly updated Plant Hardiness Zone Map because your zone may be warmer than you think. Compared to the 1990 map, the last time it was updated, zone boundaries have shifted by about 5 degrees F throughout much of the nation, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:16 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20539
Location: Southeastern US
One picture can be worth a thousand words ......

Image

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:38 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:59 am
Posts: 2266
Location: Central Colorado
My friends in Minnesota are happy with a month longer growing season, not realizing the portent.
Here in Colorado, in the mountains, it is maybe another week or two, and the bark beetles are coming over the divide.
Habitats have gone right off the mountains. This is a bad year for most ski resorts, while last year was unusually good.
The mountains normally have more weather fluctuation, but the trend has been warmer summers, milder winters, and drier climate.
Many are happy they don't have to shovel as often, or have the longer growing time, just like there are those happier that the Arctic northwest passage is open more and longer.
The maps are certainly proof of AGW, still denied by the ignorant masses.

_________________
"With every decision, think seven generations ahead of the consequences of your actions" Ute rule of life.
“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children”― Chief Seattle
“Those Who Have the Privilege to Know Have the Duty to Act”…Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:20 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:59 am
Posts: 2266
Location: Central Colorado
This year, instead of waiting for the "normal" last frost May 15, I began planting in late March, a month and a half early. We had not hard frosts after March 30, and two wet snowfalls of 3-4" each in April that melted and gave needed water. Of course, the mountains are known for their variability, but this is really something different. The rapidity of change noted by the Dept. of Agriculture, should be absolute proof of AGW and extrapolated, CAGW. At least they admit the climate of the USA has warmed 5*F since 1993.
What people have not been mentioning is that since 1950, oceanic acidification from human caused CO2 increase has killed 40% of phytoplankton. That is the source of 40% of our oxygen! (-16%)
People have also cut down 57% of the world's rainforests which supplied a similar percentage of our O2. (-27%)
http://www.rain-tree.com/facts.htm
Add them up and we have so far lost 43% of our planetary oxygen making ability(and CO2 absorption ability, similar). The rainforests are estimated to get to be 80-90% gone by 2025. Obviously, with continued burning and deforestation by humans, and breathing by all animal life and aerobic bacteria, the nearly 21% O2 we once had will begin falling, or already has.
It sure looks like 2050 will be +12*F(+6*C) and O2 down to 19% or less, roughly. The world's aquifers will be mostly drained, at least the one's around where most people live(loss of our Ogallala before 2040 will be devastating). Ocean level rise will have inundated places like Bangladesh. World good farm soil will be at over 80% loss, in depth, health, and area, from what it had been. People will be dying at the rate of 400 million per year, or more.
Glad I won't be around. Can't say they weren't warned. [-o< :neutral:

_________________
"With every decision, think seven generations ahead of the consequences of your actions" Ute rule of life.
“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children”― Chief Seattle
“Those Who Have the Privilege to Know Have the Duty to Act”…Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:25 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:59 am
Posts: 2266
Location: Central Colorado
Wayne Stollings wrote:
One picture can be worth a thousand words ......

Image


Irrefutable..........yet anal retentives still won't get it! :razz: =P~ [-( #-o :mrgreen:

_________________
"With every decision, think seven generations ahead of the consequences of your actions" Ute rule of life.
“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children”― Chief Seattle
“Those Who Have the Privilege to Know Have the Duty to Act”…Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:41 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:59 am
Posts: 2266
Location: Central Colorado
Johhny Electriglide wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
One picture can be worth a thousand words ......

Image


Irrefutable..........yet anal retentives still won't get it! :razz: =P~ [-( #-o :mrgreen:

Like snowy who was probably here in 1980 when it was 5.5*F less, and for sure here from 1990 to this year when it went up 5*F according to the map, and people growing in Minnesota.
If the rat didn't feel it, he is numb. #-o :lol:

_________________
"With every decision, think seven generations ahead of the consequences of your actions" Ute rule of life.
“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children”― Chief Seattle
“Those Who Have the Privilege to Know Have the Duty to Act”…Albert Einstein


Last edited by Johhny Electriglide on Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:45 pm 
Offline
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:47 am
Posts: 110
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
I wonder what excuses we will hear about this?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:54 am 
Offline
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:43 am
Posts: 151
Johhny Electriglide wrote:
My friends in Minnesota are happy with a month longer growing season, not realizing the portent.
Here in Colorado, in the mountains, it is maybe another week or two, and the bark beetles are coming over the divide.
Habitats have gone right off the mountains. This is a bad year for most ski resorts, while last year was unusually good.
The mountains normally have more weather fluctuation, but the trend has been warmer summers, milder winters, and drier climate.
Many are happy they don't have to shovel as often, or have the longer growing time, just like there are those happier that the Arctic northwest passage is open more and longer.
The maps are certainly proof of AGW, still denied by the ignorant masses.


All those things, except for the ski lodge owners, are good things.

The IPCC says there will be no catastrophy from a little warming. Be happy.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:21 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20539
Location: Southeastern US
Tim the Plumber wrote:
Johhny Electriglide wrote:
My friends in Minnesota are happy with a month longer growing season, not realizing the portent.
Here in Colorado, in the mountains, it is maybe another week or two, and the bark beetles are coming over the divide.
Habitats have gone right off the mountains. This is a bad year for most ski resorts, while last year was unusually good.
The mountains normally have more weather fluctuation, but the trend has been warmer summers, milder winters, and drier climate.
Many are happy they don't have to shovel as often, or have the longer growing time, just like there are those happier that the Arctic northwest passage is open more and longer.
The maps are certainly proof of AGW, still denied by the ignorant masses.


All those things, except for the ski lodge owners, are good things.


also except for the the loss of habitat, the influx of dangerous pests, and the loss of water storage for the millions who rely on that aspect for their water supply.

Quote:
The IPCC says there will be no catastrophy from a little warming. Be happy.


No, that seems to be your representation of what you have interpreted. Do you have any quotes to support this claim?

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:22 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20539
Location: Southeastern US
spot1234 wrote:
I wonder what excuses we will hear about this?



"don't worry, be happy"?

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:34 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:59 am
Posts: 2266
Location: Central Colorado
Tell that to all the people who have lost homes in fires here, or lost loved ones in the east. All from AGW effects of worsening storms and increasing wildfires. Don't worry, be happy.......it is still a beautiful planet with much to love-----for the most part, so far. =P~

_________________
"With every decision, think seven generations ahead of the consequences of your actions" Ute rule of life.
“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children”― Chief Seattle
“Those Who Have the Privilege to Know Have the Duty to Act”…Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:23 pm 
Offline
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:47 am
Posts: 110
Location: Midlands, United Kingdom
Johhny Electriglide wrote:
Tell that to all the people who have lost homes in fires here, or lost loved ones in the east. All from AGW effects of worsening storms and increasing wildfires. Don't worry, be happy.......it is still a beautiful planet with much to love-----for the most part, so far. =P~


Er move here; Its just a bit wet on second thought you might be safer where you are.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:42 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:59 am
Posts: 2266
Location: Central Colorado
Wayne Stollings wrote:
One picture can be worth a thousand words ......{except to the low brow deniglicals}

Image

_________________
"With every decision, think seven generations ahead of the consequences of your actions" Ute rule of life.
“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children”― Chief Seattle
“Those Who Have the Privilege to Know Have the Duty to Act”…Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:25 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9576
Plant hardiness shifts could speak to cetain crops yielding less.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:02 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:59 am
Posts: 2266
Location: Central Colorado
Iowanic wrote:
Plant hardiness shifts could speak to certain crops yielding less.

Actually, it speaks about which plants will even grow where, let alone yield anything but a dead seedling.

_________________
"With every decision, think seven generations ahead of the consequences of your actions" Ute rule of life.
“We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children”― Chief Seattle
“Those Who Have the Privilege to Know Have the Duty to Act”…Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Tali_Zorah and 6 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group