It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:39 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Fosgate wrote:
Besoeker wrote:
Fosgate wrote:
I think we're mostly all idiots, period, present company and myself excepted. :mrgreen:

I disagree.
Indifferent possibly.

You're right, but I'll see that and raise you ignorance, which is really what I meant anyway.

Say what you mean otherwise people might think you mean what you say.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:05 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Besoeker wrote:
Fosgate wrote:
Besoeker wrote:
Indifferent possibly.

You're right, but I'll see that and raise you ignorance, which is really what I meant anyway.

Say what you mean otherwise people might think you mean what you say.

No problem at all.

http://thesaurus.com/browse/idiot?s=t
Main Entry: idiot  [id-ee-uht] Show IPA/ˈɪdiət/ Show Spelled
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: very stupid person
Synonyms: blockhead, bonehead, cretin, dimwit, dork, dumbbell, dunce, fool, ignoramus, imbecile, jerk, kook, moron, muttonhead, nincompoop, ninny, nitwit, out to lunch, pinhead, simpleton, stupid, tomfool, twit

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ignoramus?s=t
ig·no·ra·mus   /ˌɪgnəˈreɪməs, -ˈræməs/ Show Spelled[ig-nuh-rey-muhs, -ram-uhs] Show IPA
noun, plural ig·no·ra·mus·es.
an extremely ignorant person.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:54 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Fosgate wrote:
No problem at all.

http://thesaurus.com/browse/idiot?s=t
Main Entry: idiot  [id-ee-uht] Show IPA/ˈɪdiət/ Show Spelled
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: very stupid person
Synonyms: blockhead, bonehead, cretin, dimwit, dork, dumbbell, dunce, fool, ignoramus, imbecile, jerk, kook, moron, muttonhead, nincompoop, ninny, nitwit, out to lunch, pinhead, simpleton, stupid, tomfool, twit

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ignoramus?s=t
ig·no·ra·mus   /ˌɪgnəˈreɪməs, -ˈræməs/ Show Spelled[ig-nuh-rey-muhs, -ram-uhs] Show IPA
noun, plural ig·no·ra·mus·es.
an extremely ignorant person.

My point was about indifference.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:00 pm 

Johhny Electriglide wrote:
I've been around the world and seen a lot. The sad fact is that humans in general are a stupid, selfish beast. They didn't have the sense to stop breeding when the ecological niche was full enough. They are like birds that foul their own nest to the point of dying from the filth. (Seen in rotted overhangs)
What Ms. Vole says is true, also. Individual action is necessary, in addition to that of governments.
Even a collective worldwide kick in the ass will not overcome human inertia to change.
The too small percentage of us who see it coming and have taken steps to live green, educate and lead others, and try to move the stubborn ass of humanity, just have not had the power and money to do the job. :cry: :x
Ecocidal maniacs as a species, except for a small minority who have one or no children, and live green, on solar or wind, driving a hybrid or electric, composting and growing much of their own food, buying local, reducing, re-using, and recycling, living in eco-homes, and fully understand ecology and the exponential function.

I suppose with selfishness you get the indifference to AGW, but the main thing is people, on average, have too low an IQ to "get it".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:04 pm 

Besoeker wrote:
My point was about indifference.

Yes, to which I agreed and added a possible reason for them being indifferent--ignorance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:05 pm 

I agree Fosgate, most people, but not all, are stupid;
" blockhead, bonehead, cretin, dimwit, dork, dumbbell, dunce, fool, ignoramus, imbecile, jerk, kook, moron, muttonhead, nincompoop, ninny, nitwit, out to lunch, pinhead, simpleton, stupid, tomfool, twit " :crazy: ](*,) :razz: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
or the PC-scientific view;
http://thinkprogress.org/climate/2012/0 ... te-change/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:18 am 
New User
New User

Wayne Stollings wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/22/opinion/sunday/were-all-climate-change-idiots.html?_r=3&ref=globalwarming

CLIMATE CHANGE is staring us in the face. The science is clear, and the need to reduce planet-warming emissions has grown urgent. So why, collectively, are we doing so little about it?

I think that there's two factors.

One is a kind of prisoners dilemma. The effect of action by each individual is negligible, but most of us need to act to make a difference. The problem being that acting costs, at least initially. So any individual would be better off not acting, given that that doesn't affect what everyone else is doing.

Two is political pressure applied in democracies by people with an interest in the fossil fuel industry.