EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:22 pm 
New User
New User

Well the oldest dog in the world was documented as a border collie that ate a vegan diet of lentils, rice, and veggies and lived to be 27....it just makes you think.
Are we depriving them of their natural instincts of eating meat?
Check out this article I wrote that discusses some Green Pet Tips and such...
http://begreen.botw.org/2012/04/fido-go ... pet-guide/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:41 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Ecochic314 wrote:
Well the oldest dog in the world was documented as a border collie that ate a vegan diet of lentils, rice, and veggies and lived to be 27....it just makes you think.

Actually, it would take more than one instance to make me think. It might even take data if multiple instances one experiences differ from that of another.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:54 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

I will leave it upto the dog.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:08 am 

Ecochic314 wrote:

But this article that you've posted here has nothing to do with a vegan Border Collie. Or a vegan anything! What are we supposed to be thinking about?

Quote:

Their natural instincts of eating meat? But this article has nothing to do with a dog eating meat ... or not.

Quote:

Yeah great. Some good tips. But what does it have to do with dogs being vegan? Most of us know that dogs are omnivores just as humans are .... ? And what does all this information have to do with the (your) heading? .... "Should your dog be Vegetarian"?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:42 am 

animal-friendly wrote:
Most of us know that dogs are omnivores just as humans are .... ?

Omnivores. Dogs are carnivores, however.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:57 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

non-obligate carnivores would be the more accurate description

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:08 am 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
non-obligate carnivores would be the more accurate description

True, they are equipped to deal with a significant portion of plant matter in their diet despite their carnivorous nature. The carnivorous giant panda is even more "confusing" 8)

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:00 pm 

Ecochic314 wrote:

If you were being fair to the dog's nature rather than adding your own self-indulgence to the animal than there would be no question the dog would go to the meat tray. Just because a human wants to exercise their power over the dog doesn't mean they are actually applying rights fairly and it seems hypocritical to pretend otherwise. .

Life is a time capsule we strive to fill with precious memories.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:22 am 
New User
New User

Interesting article. :clap:
I'm a vegetarian. Also I give a lot of vegetarian food to my dog, but sometimes I give him meat because his vet told that my dog should eat some meat, because his digest need it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:27 am 

oksi111 wrote:
I'm a vegetarian. Also I give a lot of vegetarian food to my dog, but sometimes I give him meat because his vet told that my dog should eat some meat, because his digest need it.

Yes, your dog needs some meat, every once in awhile mixed with the other stuff. They have evolved that way much in the same way we have. Sometimes, we need it just as they do.

Scanning my upbringing, there were few incidences where I needed it. As an adult, this becomes more apparant.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:01 pm 

oksi111 wrote:

If I don't eat meat, I can't function physically at optimum levels. I've tried vegetable protein however I simply can't get enough of it before feeling full. If I try to perform regardless, I get lightheaded and literally start to lose vision. I can even get by off straight protein, assuming my hydration level is sufficient, but do better if I throw in some carbs with it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:31 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Fosgate wrote:
oksi111 wrote:

If I don't eat meat, I can't function physically at optimum levels. I've tried vegetable protein however I simply can't get enough of it before feeling full. If I try to perform regardless, I get lightheaded and literally start to lose vision. I can even get by off straight protein, assuming my hydration level is sufficient, but do better if I throw in some carbs with it.

Made me laugh.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:45 am 

tommee wrote:
Fosgate wrote:

Made me laugh.

When told what I had for breakfast, my opponents thought it was pretty funny too. It wasn't long before I was hitting junk food 3 or more times a week at 4500+ calories a pop just to break even and to stop losing weight. By that time, my foes were getting low single digits if scoring against me at all. You give me a double quarter pounder from Mcdonald's, couple of orders of large fries, 2 pies, and a liter of soda and two hours later I'll take on anyone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:35 pm 
Member with 50 posts!
Member with 50 posts!

Fosgate wrote:
oksi111 wrote:

Since my digestive system seems to require a high fibre level -- I have to take fiber supplements in spite of an almost completely vegan diet -- if I ate as much meat as you or most people, I'd be constipated every day. The omnivore's dilemma for humans is that, although we require very little nutrients specifically from animal sources, most hunter/gatherer tribes spent thousands of years adapting to consuming high quantities of meat -- especially in northern climates where Inuit and other tribes living along the Arctic Ocean lived almost exclusively off fish and seals. But, like the Giant Panda, the forces of natural selection don't bother making an animal species adaptations complete unless it is absolutely necessary. So, too many people these days have too much of the negative aspects of meat consumption: digestive troubles, obesity, high cholesterol levels...all eventually leading to heart disease and cancers in many people. So, if humans do require some meat in our diets to remain healthy, it is a very small fraction of what we are actually consuming today on average.

As for dogs....I haven't checked these stories out about vegans making their dogs vegan too. I've just assumed this is something that hairbrained yuppies do when they become fanatics about vegetarianism. A dog may be an omnivore, but I'd like to hear from a veterinarian or a zoologist on this issue, because dogs seem to have a lot more adaptations for a predominantly meat diet than we do. And, if most dogs are like mine, they see vegetables as something to eat when there is no real food available! My spoiled rotten dog would live on an all-beef diet if he had his say on the issue. He even turns up his nose at almost every store brand dog food.

Since we also have a cat (who prefers tuna and salmon to cat food), I'd like to know if any vegetarian fanatics have tried to turn their cats into vegans? From my limited understanding, the modern house cat is a true carnivore, and likely has a digestive tract too short to live adequately on plant food sources.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:04 pm 

right to left wrote:
So, if humans do require some meat in our diets to remain healthy, it is a very small fraction of what we are actually consuming today on average.

This is generally true for Americans. As for remaining healthy, one needn't consume meat if an equivalent vegan/fortified alternative is available. Note that I was talking about performance, not general health. I can go forever on no meat at all. Lastly, processed carbs are a bigger factor in obesity than protein and fat, and they're are totally vegan in nature. You see, it isn't so much avoid X because of Y, avoid A because of B, but rather knowing how much X and A constitutes moderation.

Quote:
A dog may be an omnivore, but I'd like to hear from a veterinarian or a zoologist on this issue, because dogs seem to have a lot more adaptations for a predominantly meat diet than we do.

Dogs are quite typical carnivores, however their gut has evolved to look more like that of an omnivore. This is due to the amount of inadvertent plant matter that they've ingested over the millenia.

Quote:
Since we also have a cat (who prefers tuna and salmon to cat food), I'd like to know if any vegetarian fanatics have tried to turn their cats into vegans?

There are vegan cat food options out there. How folks feed it to animals that go nuts when you break out the sliced turkey or make tuna salad is beyond me. Then again, I’m not so much an uptight, anal fool over animals killing other animals for food either.

Quote:
From my limited understanding, the modern house cat is a true carnivore, and likely has a digestive tract too short to live adequately on plant food sources.

Gut length is a factor, though cell specialization is really the key.