EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:31 pm 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am
Posts: 1335
Ten years later, drug abuse is down by half. Treated as a social problem rather than a criminal problem.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... -portugal/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:48 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am
Posts: 1335
animal-friendly wrote:
Ten years later, drug abuse is down by half. Treated as a social problem rather than a criminal problem.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... -portugal/



As opposed to Chris ....

http://freechriswilliams.blogspot.com.au/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:20 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:17 am
Posts: 9576
This is a interesting subject.
My knee-jerk reaction is that this will be a mess but after so much spent on the war on drugs with so little rsults; maybe it's just the most pragmatic move.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:54 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am
Posts: 1335
Iowanic wrote:
This is a interesting subject.
My knee-jerk reaction is that this will be a mess but after so much spent on the war on drugs with so little rsults; maybe it's just the most pragmatic move.



Yeah. The war on drugs is a fake war .... albeit real in some respects, but not usually.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:02 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20539
Location: Southeastern US
Then we have someone who only used pot .......

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/27/us/florid ... index.html

The naked Florida man who chewed off the face of another man last month in a zombie-like cannibal attack used marijuana but not "bath salts" as police had suspected, authorities said Wednesday.

Rudy Eugene, 31, was killed by a police officer after Eugene's 18-minute attack on a homeless man. His body didn't show "any other street drugs, alcohol or prescription drugs, or any adulterants found in street drugs," according to the Miami-Dade County Medical Examiner Department.

"The department has also sought the assistance of an outside forensic toxicology reference laboratory, which has confirmed the absence of 'bath salts,' synthetic marijuana and LSD," the statement said.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:44 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am
Posts: 1335
animal-friendly wrote:
Iowanic wrote:
This is a interesting subject.
My knee-jerk reaction is that this will be a mess but after so much spent on the war on drugs with so little rsults; maybe it's just the most pragmatic move.



Yeah. The war on drugs is a fake war .... albeit real in some respects, but not usually.

The so called 'war on drugs" is causing havoc in Mexico and also comitting very lovely people here in the US to a life in prison for providing some relief of pain for some individuals .... Nuff said ..... Right?

Unfortunatly .. the US is imprisoning people.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:47 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am
Posts: 1335
animal-friendly wrote:
animal-friendly wrote:
Iowanic wrote:
This is a interesting subject.
My knee-jerk reaction is that this will be a mess but after so much spent on the war on drugs with so little rsults; maybe it's just the most pragmatic move.



Yeah. The war on drugs is a fake war .... albeit real in some respects, but not usually.

The so called 'war on drugs" is causing havoc in Mexico and also comitting very lovely people here in the US to a life in prison for providing some relief of pain for some individuals .... Nuff said ..... Right?

Unfortunatly .. the US is imprisoning people.


Wayne ..... you support this?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:54 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20539
Location: Southeastern US
We are #41 ..... rah?

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_d ... g-offences

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:07 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am
Posts: 1335
Wayne Stollings wrote:


Yes. The US is about #41.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:11 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20539
Location: Southeastern US
animal-friendly wrote:
animal-friendly wrote:



Yeah. The war on drugs is a fake war .... albeit real in some respects, but not usually.

The so called 'war on drugs" is causing havoc in Mexico and also comitting very lovely people here in the US to a life in prison for providing some relief of pain for some individuals .... Nuff said ..... Right?

Unfortunatly .. the US is imprisoning people.




Wayne ..... you support this?


Convicting people for breaking the law? Yes, as do many other countries where people are arrested and conviceted of crimes, including drugs.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:22 am 
Offline
Member with over 1000 posts!
Member with over 1000 posts!

Joined: Wed May 28, 2008 12:42 am
Posts: 1335
Wayne Stollings wrote:
Then we have someone who only used pot .......

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/27/us/florid ... index.html

The naked Florida man who chewed off the face of another man last month in a zombie-like cannibal attack used marijuana but not "bath salts" as police had suspected, authorities said Wednesday.

Rudy Eugene, 31, was killed by a police officer after Eugene's 18-minute attack on a homeless man. His body didn't show "any other street drugs, alcohol or prescription drugs, or any adulterants found in street drugs," according to the Miami-Dade County Medical Examiner Department.

"The department has also sought the assistance of an outside forensic toxicology reference laboratory, which has confirmed the absence of 'bath salts,' synthetic marijuana and LSD," the statement said.



As opposed to Chris .......


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:26 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20539
Location: Southeastern US
animal-friendly wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
Then we have someone who only used pot .......

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/27/us/florid ... index.html

The naked Florida man who chewed off the face of another man last month in a zombie-like cannibal attack used marijuana but not "bath salts" as police had suspected, authorities said Wednesday.

Rudy Eugene, 31, was killed by a police officer after Eugene's 18-minute attack on a homeless man. His body didn't show "any other street drugs, alcohol or prescription drugs, or any adulterants found in street drugs," according to the Miami-Dade County Medical Examiner Department.

"The department has also sought the assistance of an outside forensic toxicology reference laboratory, which has confirmed the absence of 'bath salts,' synthetic marijuana and LSD," the statement said.



As opposed to Chris .......



Who broke the law and got caught? The choices we make have consequences and the ones I most worry about are those who affect others rather than themselves. If you screw up and have to pay the price, that is one thing. If you screw up and someone else has to pay for it, that is another thing completely.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:29 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20539
Location: Southeastern US
animal-friendly wrote:
Wayne Stollings wrote:
Then we have someone who only used pot .......

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/27/us/florid ... index.html

The naked Florida man who chewed off the face of another man last month in a zombie-like cannibal attack used marijuana but not "bath salts" as police had suspected, authorities said Wednesday.

Rudy Eugene, 31, was killed by a police officer after Eugene's 18-minute attack on a homeless man. His body didn't show "any other street drugs, alcohol or prescription drugs, or any adulterants found in street drugs," according to the Miami-Dade County Medical Examiner Department.

"The department has also sought the assistance of an outside forensic toxicology reference laboratory, which has confirmed the absence of 'bath salts,' synthetic marijuana and LSD," the statement said.



As opposed to Chris .......


Or who just grows it and sells it to others? He had choices and still does, but not so much the people involved in the Miami incident.

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:34 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20539
Location: Southeastern US
animal-friendly wrote:
Ten years later, drug abuse is down by half. Treated as a social problem rather than a criminal problem.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... -portugal/


A misleading headline caught you up. Abuse is not down but the number of hardcore addicts are estimated to be down by half.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/ar ... c6f679.5e1

The number of addicts considered "problematic" -- those who repeatedly use "hard" drugs and intravenous users -- had fallen by half since the early 1990s, when the figure was estimated at around 100,000 people, Goulao said.

Other factors had also played their part however, Goulao, a medical doctor added.

"This development can not only be attributed to decriminalisation but to a confluence of treatment and risk reduction policies."

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:37 am 
Offline
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:45 pm
Posts: 20539
Location: Southeastern US
Abuse is "generally" below the European average, which may indicate improved conditions if the previous averages were higher in relation and no other factors had changed.

Quote:
Drug use statistics in Portugal are generally "below the European average and much lower than its only European neighbour, Spain," the report also said

_________________
With friends like Guido, you will not have enemies for long.

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer


"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group