EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:00 pm 
This user has been banned

I have a problem with people viewing my IP. If moderators can look up my IP I would like to know if you are going to change it so they can not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 2:14 pm 
Member with over 1000 posts!

phantomuk wrote:
I have a problem with people viewing my IP. If moderators can look up my IP I would like to know if you are going to change it so they can not.

I will let you know if that feature changes. Users' IPs are logged as a "feature" of the forum -- this is explicitly stated in the terms of service you agreed to in order to become a registered user here. I have used this in the past to tell if users have multiple accounts from the same IP address, etc. There is a subtlety to understanding how IP addresses work (NAT routing, for example) but it can be useful to have.

EnviroLink Volunteers are expected to never reveal people's personal information (including IP addresses) unless required to do so by law.

-josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 3:20 pm 

josh knauer wrote:
phantomuk wrote:

I will let you know if that feature changes. Users' IPs are logged as a "feature" of the forum -- this is explicitly stated in the terms of service you agreed to in order to become a registered user here. I have used this in the past to tell if users have multiple accounts from the same IP address, etc. There is a subtlety to understanding how IP addresses work (NAT routing, for example) but it can be useful to have.

EnviroLink Volunteers are expected to never reveal people's personal information (including IP addresses) unless required to do so by law.

-josh

I do not surf this site from home and will not because moderators will have access to my ip. I will just surf from this free wireless network we found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:09 pm 
EnviroLink Volunteer
EnviroLink Volunteer

josh knauer wrote:
phantomuk wrote:

-josh

No problem from my perspective as I have more at stake than just this site if I have a credibility issue where the law is concerned

“Intellect is invisible to the man who has none”
Arthur Schopenhauer

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."
Albert Einstein

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:18 pm 

Wayne Stollings wrote:
josh knauer wrote:
phantomuk wrote:

-josh

No problem from my perspective as I have more at stake than just this site if I have a credibility issue where the law is concerned

It is you who I would not wish to see the ip that is connected to my home and server. I have had an expencive hack already I do not want another if I can help it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:42 pm 

phantomuk wrote:
It is you who I would not wish to see the ip that is connected to my home and server. I have had an expencive hack already I do not want another if I can help it.

Chill out. While we can see the IP address, you have to go out of your way to do it. I really doubt Wayne cares that much about your home or hacking you or anything like it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 11:38 pm 

josh knauer wrote:
phantomuk wrote:

Chill out. While we can see the IP address, you have to go out of your way to do it. I really doubt Wayne cares that much about your home or hacking you or anything like it.

My site was hacked from this info collected from this forum. I suspetc SJ. Josh I am no going to play you pissing games.

Leave it to the Russians ;)

Bye Bye :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:50 am 

phantomuk wrote:
My site was hacked from this info collected from this forum. I suspetc SJ. Josh I am no going to play you pissing games.

Leave it to the Russians ;)

Bye Bye :shock:

That is an absurd allegation. How would he have gotten your IP address from this site before today?!? The only way that would be possible is that someone hacked into our server just to get your IP address from deep within a fairly heavily protected db setup. I don't even know what your site is, but you are certain that you've tracked the hacking back to here somehow? That is highly unlikely and seems to be a spurious claim.

We have excellent security monitoring on our servers and have caught (and prosecuted across several countries, I might add) all known hacking attempts before the culprit was able to do any damage or gain any real access. If you know of some security breach of which I am not aware, I'd suggest sending me some specifics and not making vague and dubious allegations against a user here.

90% of the hacking happening on the net is from kiddy-hackers who are setting up FTP, IRC-bots or p2p sites.

-josh