EnviroLink Forum

Community • Ecology • Connection
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sigs
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:15 am 
New User
New User

I'd like to see the board give us the liberty to have our own signature images. Here are some of mine that I would like to use...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:58 am 
Member with over 1000 posts!

Looks like you can use one of them if you want.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:52 am 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

If you're asking for opinions/vote, my vote is no based on my opinion that pictures in sigs make the board too "busy" to look at.

Text-only sigs no problem, but I've seen boards where picture sigs have gotten terribly out of hand.

otoh...it's not like the world would stop spinning if picture sigs were allowed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:14 pm 

I don't think they are prohibited, are they? If they get out of hand, I will do something about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:02 pm 
New User
New User

Archer stole mine. Can you do something about that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:04 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

Awesome! I thought picture siggys were prohibited also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:37 pm 

THX-1138 wrote:

I only put it on mine to show you that it can be done. Believe me, I don't want it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:40 pm 
Member with 200 posts
Member with 200 posts

Archer wrote:
THX-1138 wrote:

I only put it on mine to show you that it can be done. Believe me, I don't want it.

Then why do you still have it up? He/She obviously has seen it now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:24 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

THX-1138 wrote:

Is it patented or copyright protected?

If not, it's open season on your picture sig for anyone to use it, and the word "stole" doesn't apply.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:59 pm 

THX-1138 wrote:

maybe ask archer if you can have it back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:10 pm 

I don't like the attitude being expressed here (Bean). I don't think we need a chorus of people chiming in with their opinions about every posting in the feedback section.

Archer already said he was just doing it to test it out. I'm sure he already has or soon will get rid of it.

-josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:20 am 

Yes, it's gone. I've gone back to a good signature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 5:39 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

josh knauer wrote:
I don't like the attitude being expressed here (Bean).

Excuse me? What "attitude"?

If something is posted on the internet, it's pretty much up for grabs, unless it's been copyrighted and noted as being copyrighted, e.g., a photo.

I was asking if the picture in question was copyrighted, and commented that if it isn't, then it's not a question of someone having stolen it if they choose to use it. I did so in an effort to help the person understand, in the event they were unaware of the facts regarding using images found on the internet.

Quote:
I don't think we need a chorus of people chiming in with their opinions about every posting in the feedback section.

-josh

Yessir CommanDANT. :roll: Power trip much? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:24 pm 

Bean wrote:
josh knauer wrote:

The harsh attitude that requires you to respond to postings in a manner that would normally escalate the situation.

Quote:
If something is posted on the internet, it's pretty much up for grabs, unless it's been copyrighted and noted as being copyrighted, e.g., a photo.

Perhaps you were raised differently, but common sense and decency proscribes that when someone asks another to not use an image they created, you don't do it. Archer absolutely behaved properly in this instance and I thank him for doing so. You did not need to step in and get argumentative. You were escalating the situation which was not necessary, especially in the feedback section.

Quote:
I was asking if the picture in question was copyrighted, and commented that if it isn't, then it's not a question of someone having stolen it if they choose to use it. I did so in an effort to help the person understand, in the event they were unaware of the facts regarding using images found on the internet.

If you did mean well, your delivery was ineffective and came across as inflammatory.

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think we need a chorus of people chiming in with their opinions about every posting in the feedback section.

-josh

Yessir CommanDANT. :roll: Power trip much? :shock:

I prefer El Capitan or To-to-kon, but whatever floats your boat. If you don't like the way things are run here, you are free to not visit and complain about it elsewhere.

-josh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:00 pm 
Member with 500 Posts!
Member with 500 Posts!

josh knauer wrote:

Quote:

Quote:
The harsh attitude that requires you to respond to postings in a manner that would normally escalate the situation.

You'll have to quote exactly what I posted in this thread that you considered to be a "harsh attitude" because I haven't a clue as to what I wrote that was harsh.

Quote:

Quote:
Perhaps you were raised differently, but common sense and decency proscribes that when someone asks another to not use an image they created, you don't do it. Archer absolutely behaved properly in this instance and I thank him for doing so. You did not need to step in and get argumentative. You were escalating the situation which was not necessary, especially in the feedback section.

Perhaps you were raised differently, but common sense and decency and maturity proscribes that when someone has a problem with someone, they should deal with that person one on one, rather than making a public spectacle of their problem and/or running to someone else to get them to solve their problems.

You'll have to quote what you consider to be a case of my "escalating the situation" because, seriously, I had no intention of doing so.

I am, however, being sarcastic here (i.e., parroting what you wrote) because I'm finding this whole thing kinda weird in a funny kinda way.

Quote:

Quote:
If you did mean well, your delivery was ineffective and came across as inflammatory.

Again, how was my delivery "ineffective" and "inflammatory"...I didn't curse, I was polite, and I didn't use caps, etc. What I wrote was perfectly rational and sane.

Quote:
I prefer El Capitan or To-to-kon, but whatever floats your boat. If you don't like the way things are run here, you are free to not visit and complain about it elsewhere.

-josh

Well, El Capitan, the "way things are run here" is confusing, since I haven't a clue as to what I wrote that prompted you to accuse me of having an "attitude," being inflammatory, and guilty of trying to escalate something.

I do understand, however, your request that no one but admin/mods reply to people in the Feedback section, since the purpose of a feedback forum is for people to complain, ask questions, make requests, etc. to admin/mods.

Peace.